Folks,

Any Amazon Prime fans in the house? 80 bucks a year and you get free 2 day shipping on all your Amazon purchases, plus access to many free movies and TV episodes via Prime Instant Videos. Also if you own a Kindle tablet or ereader you get to borrow books from the kindle lending library. I think it's a great deal. I got it when I had the original Kindle Fire, but have kept it now as it recently renewed. The Kindle is long gone, but this thing has long since paid for itself with the free shipping, plus I watch the movies and TV episodes often on my Roku and my tablets (Playbook and Nexus 7)

So what do you all think?
    CrackBerry.com
    01-15-2013 08:59 PM
    I've had Amazon Prime for more than a year. I get the free shipping several times each year and I mainly watch it on my Roku. The last I checked, I couldn't watch it via the internet on my Nexus 7 because of the flash issue. (I side loaded flash and used a different browser and was able to get the video, but the resolution was not good.) The fact that Amazon recently came out with a Prime app for iOS (obviously not flash) gives me hope that there may be Prime app for Android soon.
    Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
    01-16-2013 04:42 AM
    I'm fairly new to Prime, but it paid for itself in the first month. If you're going to do any holiday shopping at Amazon, it's a no-brainer. I'm a huge fan. Now if only AppleTV will do Amazon movies!
    iMore
    01-16-2013 05:50 AM
    I signed up for the free month of Prime just before Christmas just to get the free 2 day shipping. I've looked at the movie selection, but I have other sources for that stuff for free (shhhhhh). I'll probably dump it before the 30 day period winds down and possibly purchase before next Christmas. It came in handy for shopping this year, but I won't need it again until next season.

01-16-2013 08:22 AM
    How do Amazon's movies compare to Netflix? I already have Netflix, so I'm not sure I'd want Amazon Prime.

Most of the time I get free shipping on Amazon anyway, since I have enough in a single order to qualify for free shipping.

I don't really buy books. I'll use the Overdrive app to borrow library e-books.
    --Laura Knotek
    01-16-2013 12:34 PM
    Seems to be different stuff on Amazon than Netflix (I have both).
    iMore
    01-16-2013 12:58 PM
    Seems to be different stuff on Amazon than Netflix (I have both).
    Would you be able to describe some of the differences?

Which one has more current content?

Are there differences in genres?
    --Laura Knotek
    01-16-2013 01:44 PM
    The first movie I watched on Amazon was Hugo, which was not available on Netflix. I'm not sure if they are simply getting different companies, or just alternate films.
    iMore
    01-17-2013 05:50 AM
    I've seen a couple of press releases in which Amazon announced an exclusive agreement with some TV networks. Could also be true for movie studios or distributors. I've cut the cord on cable, so I don't mind paying for both Netflix and Amazon Prime -- still a lot less than what I was paying for cable. There is some overlap, but I find some TV series and movies on one that are not on the other. I'm still looking for a source for older movies ( a la Turner Classic Movies). TCM is the only channel on cable that I miss.
    01-17-2013 06:07 AM
    Amazon almost ALWAYS has whatever you are looking for, it's just not always free, about 40% of the movies and TV are on the free (Prime) side, BUT the prices are fairly reasonable for the stuff that is not.
    CrackBerry.com
    01-17-2013 07:43 AM
    Amazon almost ALWAYS has whatever you are looking for, it's just not always free, about 40% of the movies and TV are on the free (Prime) side, BUT the prices are fairly reasonable for the stuff that is not.
    I'll rent new released movies through Amazon. It's cheaper than renting them through Directv which is my satellite TV provider.

I've bought a couple of movies through Amazon. Their Unbox Video software works well for downloading and allows you to put a mobile version of the movie on two mobile devices.
    wpcentral.com
    01-18-2013 07:59 AM
    Love the prime service! the instant streaming service is a great perk and it does have a good amount to choose from. I have found several movies not on netflix.
    01-22-2013 10:43 PM
    I'm a lil late to the party here, we have cut the cable and are OTA, but loving prime thus far. I had done the demo previously for shipping and played with the idea of video, using the Prime app now on the XBOX on DSL with WiFi has been brilliant to the point we want to put an XBOX in the bedroom. MS has stepped up their game in the apps section, and Prime streams TV shows in good quality to the big screen in the living room.

We haven't gone thru the whole host of shows or movies, but so far it's giving us much better value than the cost of cable even without the free 2-day shipping.
    02-02-2013 06:07 AM
    @Josh... I cut the sat/cable ties over a year ago and haven't looked back. One thing I'd suggest - if you are using your XBox with your OTA to stream stuff, take a look at adding PlayOn to it. I bought a license a long time ago and it's been awesome. It allows you too stream Netflix and Amazon Prime (if you have either), Hulu and/or HuluPlus, ESPN, and nearly any/all of the cable channel sites, and more. It's awesome to use with an OTA setup.

02-02-2013 01:51 PM
    @Josh... I cut the sat/cable ties over a year ago and haven't looked back. One thing I'd suggest - if you are using your XBox with your OTA to stream stuff, take a look at adding PlayOn to it. I bought a license a long time ago and it's been awesome. It allows you too stream Netflix and Amazon Prime (if you have either), Hulu and/or HuluPlus, ESPN, and nearly any/all of the cable channel sites, and more. It's awesome to use with an OTA setup.
    I've thought about it, and once I get an XBOX in the bedroom I might go that route vs building a smaller HTPC to use like a Roku/Boxee. I have the old HTPC hooked up to both the big screen TV's so we use that for those sources not available via XBOX. ESPN, Netflix, Prime, and HBO Go all function well on XBOX and/or PS3.

I messed with PlayOn long ago, and may still look to go that route and install it on the Win7 computer in my office that is also hardwired to the network and not as loaded down as the XP HTPC.
    02-06-2013 01:26 PM
    Has anyone tried Hulu Plus? If so, how is that?

I got a free trial from checking in on GetGlue during the Super Bowl, so I guess I'll find out more about it.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    --Laura Knotek
    02-06-2013 01:58 PM
    I haven't tried it recently, but the wife and I did use it off and on before and it was servicable. We both got the free one month as well.
    02-06-2013 02:00 PM
    I keep Hulu Plus, mostly to watch NBC shows, but also some cable stuff. Seems everything I want to watch comes on at the same time. I've enjoyed having Hulu Plus.
    iMore
    02-06-2013 04:57 PM
    Has anyone tried Hulu Plus? If so, how is that?

I got a free trial from checking in on GetGlue during the Super Bowl, so I guess I'll find out more about it.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    I tried the free trial on Hulu Plus about a year ago. Hated it -- commercials and it was choppy. Things may have changed in the past year, but I don't feel like I need it with Amazon, Netflix and Acorn.
    02-06-2013 05:38 PM
    I tried the free trial on Hulu Plus about a year ago. Hated it -- commercials and it was choppy. Things may have changed in the past year, but I don't feel like I need it with Amazon, Netflix and Acorn.
    What's Acorn? I never heard of it.
    --Laura Knotek
    02-06-2013 08:54 PM
    What's Acorn? I never heard of it.
    Acorn TV is a streaming service that focuses on British TV (with a few Canadian shows thrown in). Their traditional business is selling DVDs. I got the service free for a year when I bought a Roku through them. About $30 a year but they have only about 15 series available at one time. I can find about half the shows on other services, but it is worth it for the other half if you like British TV.

http://acornonline.com/acorntv.aspx?
    02-07-2013 07:16 AM
    ...using the Prime app now on the XBOX on DSL with WiFi has been brilliant to the point we want to put an XBOX in the bedroom...
    Unless you are gonna game in the bedroom (bites tongue - too many jokes) an XBox is overkill. Why not a Roku? Add Wifi (it's better with a LAN line) and you can watch your Prime that way. Add Plex Media Server and stream whatever you want to load into a share folder + whenever you see a groovy video on the YouTube you can use the handy Plex It! button on your browser to que those up too.

Roku ain't half bad... And when you factor in price it's one of the best bargains out there.
    03-14-2013 01:29 PM
    I have Prime which I honestly forgot to cancel when the 30 days came up, but decided it's okay, but not every thing is Prime eligible.

Most of the items, I find myself paying a little more just to take advantage of prime! I did give it to a couple of family members to take advantage of, but still hasn't paid for itself.

My boss loves it and honestly, if Amazon discontinues it, it's because of how much he has taken advantage of it. Has a package almost daily being sent to the store.
    03-31-2013 09:17 AM
    I tried the Prime trial around Christmas. It honestly saved my butt over the Christmas period as I could order really late and it still got here with time to spare. Having said that I've not really tried it again or signed up for the full service since. I just don't spend that much on purchases at the moment, but if I did I'd get Prime again in a heartbeat!
    04-16-2013 01:18 PM
    I have Prime which I honestly forgot to cancel when the 30 days came up, but decided it's okay, but not every thing is Prime eligible.

Most of the items, I find myself paying a little more just to take advantage of prime! I did give it to a couple of family members to take advantage of, but still hasn't paid for itself.

My boss loves it and honestly, if Amazon discontinues it, it's because of how much he has taken advantage of it. Has a package almost daily being sent to the store.
    Isn't everything directly from Amazon eligible?

I thought only items from 3rd-party sellers weren't eligible. I don't trust 3rd-party sellers anyway and only buy directly from Amazon.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Foroplex
    --Laura Knotek
    04-16-2013 03:35 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD