View Poll Results: Should Facebook make phones?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 9.76%
  • No

34 82.93%
  • Not Sure

3 7.32%
    There have been rumors for a long time now that Facebook might get into the business of phones. I could see reasons why they would do this and also why it wouldn't make sense to.

Vote on the poll and weigh in with your thoughts!
    Chief Media Officer, Mobile Nations
    01-14-2013 05:01 PM
    It's not a Facebook phone.
    01-14-2013 05:02 PM
    Maybe Facebook should make a search engine instead of a phone.
    Chief Media Officer, Mobile Nations
    01-14-2013 05:05 PM
    I don't use facebook, so doubt that I would look at any phone they made.
    Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
    01-14-2013 05:16 PM
    As long as it's Android and Phil has to cover it!

MG's guess about it being a low-end phone for emerging markets is interesting. It prevents direct competition with Apple, thus preserving iOS Facebook integration.

It also gets Facebook all the data on all the people.
    01-14-2013 05:17 PM
    Though Facebook has the funds to do so it would be better optioned to work with the big players out there through a better joint venture past the "Cha Cha" mobile that we saw from HTC. I think Samsung would do a great job to meet this requested demand should my advice be passed on. A Facebook phone directed to tweens could prove well for those that can't afford the iPhone and those that still believe the BlackBerry is for business users. An Android underlying OS would work well to custom fit the Facebook overlay.
    01-14-2013 05:38 PM
    Everytime I hear this rumor I just shake my head. Facebook making a phone simply wreaks of "flop" to me. Now... if Mobile Nations made a phone, that would be another story (but it would have to come with the ability to boot to all platforms otherwise it would be a war).

What in the world would a Facebook phone bring to the mix that would make anyone outside of the most addicted FB users want to get it? I just don't get it. But that could just be me. Only thing I could see them going after is the very young demographic who are addicted to social networking and want a really cheap option.
    Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules

01-14-2013 05:41 PM
    I don't care. I don't use Facebook, so I wouldn't consider any product (hardware or software) that they make.
    --Laura Knotek
    01-14-2013 06:34 PM
    Facebook is a service provider, not a handset maker. What really can they offer in the form of hardware that will WOW the rest of the mobile space??
    01-14-2013 07:07 PM
    I could totaly see them doing it, but my guess would be that Amazon beats them to it!
    CrackBerry.com
    01-14-2013 09:21 PM
    I think they should concentrate on being a social network and get rid of all the games. When they are back to being a social network, we'll talk phones.
    iMore
    01-15-2013 06:04 AM
    I think they should concentrate on being a social network and get rid of all the games. When they are back to being a social network, we'll talk phones.
    I got rid of my Facebook account 2 1/2 years ago, since I was sick of all the requests to play Farmville.
    --Laura Knotek
    01-15-2013 12:44 PM
    I HATE those games! No I don't want to join your Mafia, and I have no interest in milking your cow!
    CrackBerry.com
    01-15-2013 10:39 PM
    Facebook Fone? Fuggedaboudit!
    01-24-2013 09:18 AM
    Would not even consider buying one if it happens.....

Facebook already has issues....
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore
    John.Yester@Mobilenations.com
    01-24-2013 12:26 PM
    I got rid of my Facebook account 2 1/2 years ago, since I was sick of all the requests to play Farmville.
    I just turned off the Farmville notifications. I probably get truckloads of requests sent but they fall on deaf ears as I don't see the requests. I do that with all games that give me too many notifications.
    Windows Phone Central Moderator
    Justice-hammer swinging brute formerly known as Paladinleeds.
    03-11-2013 07:30 AM
    Not only should Facebook make a phone but they should use a BlackBerry 10 based phone - a major partner like Facebook would lend BlackBerry a lot of credibility, especially with the US market. This strategy also coincides with what Thorsten wants to achieve with mobile computing. BlackBerry is no longer interested in hardware. They are now a software company first and foremost.
    03-11-2013 11:36 AM
    I voted no...

Why?

I will not use FaceBook. Yes, I've tried it. No it is not the all important hub of the universe that everyone seems to think it is. It's very invasive, very pushy, very annoying. I don't think the world needs a phone that is trying to run their lives to the extent that FB will ultimately design a device to behave.

*sigh* I'm sure it would sell a Gabillion - Zillion units in the first nano-second of release.

If it is produced, the model name should be "Borg."
    03-14-2013 01:35 PM
    As much as I like FaceBook, I wouldn't want a FaceBook phone. Doesn't appeal to me although with the success of Amazon with the Kindle Fire, who knows it could have moderate success.
    03-14-2013 06:57 PM
    I think it would make more sense for them to create a custom launcher that people can install rather than a phone; isn't that essentially what they did? Obviously it would be Android only, but that's far cheaper than making an entire OS and trying to either get a hardware manufacturer to pick it up or making their own hardware.
    05-30-2013 06:32 PM
    I could totaly see them doing it, but my guess would be that Amazon beats them to it!
    Guess I was wrong huh????? LOL
    CrackBerry.com
    05-31-2013 11:54 AM
    People would be constantly sending app requests that you would inevitably have to block so you don't get inundated with more requests.
    06-03-2013 02:15 AM
    Seems like I heard alot about this for a day or two before and after facebook home was launched, and then never again.. has it lost all relevance already or is it just because I don't follow much android news?
    06-19-2013 08:57 PM
    Facebook Home is not really a phone it's a mobile launcher app for Android devices. It comes preloaded on the HTC First, but can be loaded on a limited amount of Android phones. Apparently my Note 2 can get it, BUT I'm not interested.
    CrackBerry.com
    06-21-2013 08:48 AM
    Negative!!! I agree with Alli, fix your social network, then worry about making a phone.
    06-21-2013 11:16 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD