• 2 Post By palandri
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  1.    #1  
    Post what you know.

I know nothing, so I'll post a link:

Ubuntu (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    webOS Nation Mod - Android User
    - just call me berd
    It's just a Linux operating system. I have Ubuntu on my backup computer and I am dual booting Win8 and Linux Mint 14 on my laptop.
    wpcentral.com
    Laura Knotek and john_v like this.
    I think we want to keep it mobile here... LOL

Here's a preview of Ubuntu Touch on a Nexus 4

Regarding the learning curve that was mentioned in the video: Coming from daily webOS use, I didn't find learning all the gestures very hard. I rather like the way it's almost exclusively gesture driven...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    Does anyone know how well NFC works on Ubuntu?
    Windows Phone Central Moderator
    Justice-hammer swinging brute formerly known as Paladinleeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    Does anyone know how well NFC works on Ubuntu?
    It isn't enabled as of yet... I'm sure it is in the works for the consumer release though.
    Lumia 1520.3 & Lumia 2520 Tablet - Superbly Matched.

Windows Central Ambassador Team Leader

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    It isn't enabled as of yet... I'm sure it is in the works for the consumer release though.
    Will it allow for use of the locking of NFC tags like Android? Or will they remain unlocked like WP does it?
    Windows Phone Central Moderator
    Justice-hammer swinging brute formerly known as Paladinleeds.
    I wish I could answer that... There is zero mention of NFC on the wiki or any chatter about UT that I can find. I can only imagine developers will not ignore the hardware that is already present on the targeted devices.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Does locking an NFC tag take some additional hardware over writing to one? My guess is no, so even if there isn't native functionality for locking an NFC tag, I'd bet an app that does it will be available.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    Does locking an NFC tag take some additional hardware over writing to one? My guess is no, so even if there isn't native functionality for locking an NFC tag, I'd bet an app that does it will be available.
    I've not used tags (yet), but my understanding is that locking the tag is part or the write process as an option.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by badra100 View Post
    Ubunto is a quality that includes the essential human virtues; compassion and humanity.
    True, but in this case they are referring to the operating system named Ubuntu.
    Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    That's interesting. I had followed Ubuntu many years ago, but as my work life got more hectic, I dropped dabbling in it. I find it interesting that Ubuntu is following a similar path that BlackBerry has with their BB10 OS. The BB10 OS is very swipe oriented. If you have used it, you will know that a swipe up and over will access the BB hub which gives access to all your communications. Also, the BB10 Browser is heavy duty HTML5 compliant, more compliant than most if not all desktop browsers. So you don't really need to have all those apps; I think the app need is something created by our friends over at Apple because their browser is so-so. This Ubuntu OS seems to share that vision of being non-app dependent. However, as with BlackBerry, the perception of few apps will have a consumer impact. As I said before, many people have been conditioned to believe that if there aren't a lot of apps, there has to be something wrong. BUT, if the browsing experience is golden, that's not an issue. I find it cleaner not to have a bunch of apps cluttering up my phone. I have lots of bookmarks though. It's always nice to see something other than mainstream.